Saturday, October 30, 2010

[Blog] National Novel Writing Month

National Novel Writing Month, usually shorted to Nanowrimo, is an event that takes place every November. It's a challenge to write 50,000 words in a single month, which works out to 1667 words a day, or roughly 1700.

In 2008 I "won" the challenge with 51,000 words, and in 2009 I "failed" with 29,000 words. This year I plan to win again. I'll be working on the second book in my fantasy series, since I've written the ending for the first book.

It's true that the first book still needs a lot of editing and work, but editing is the easy part in comparison to writing the story out in the first place.

I've been rolling ideas around in my head for a bit and I think I'm going to go back in time a little at the beginning and reveal more about Eshana's character through childhood memories at the beginning of the second book. After rereading the Earth's Children series I've become more aware of how important a character's background is, and how fascinating simple human interaction can be when it's done well.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment